- Open outdoor space with flat grass or sand surface
- Markers (rope, ribbon, string, leaves, twigs)
- Find a flat, open outdoor space with grass or sand surface
- Mark a “jump” line on the ground (piece or rope or ribbon, or draw line in sand)
- Show your child how to do a running long jump: run up to the line and take off with one foot
- Mark your landing spot with a leaf, a twig, or a piece of ribbon
- Have your child try to beat your jump!
- Mark each jump
- Don’t be afraid to let your child beat you – coach for success!
TIP: Show how to jump high to get extra distance
TIP: Show how to land with feet shoulder-width apart, and knees aligned above feet
- If your child always takes off with the same foot, try the other foot for a while
- Introduce extra fun with imaginary scenarios – for example, pretend to be Spiderman leaping between buildings
This activity develops dynamic balance, coordination, timing, and strength required for any and all sports and activities that involve a running jump (e.g., basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, track and field, gymnastics)