- Large outdoor space
- Talk with your preschool child about kangaroos. How do kangaroos move?
- Show your child how to hop like a kangaroo. Hands are held in front of chest with elbows bent
- Practice hopping with your child. Make sure they take off with both feet and land with both feet, bending knees slightly when they land
- Play “Follow the Leader” hopping like kangaroos
- If there are trees and playground equipment present, you can hop around and between these obstacles
- If there are several children present, try having a kangaroo-hopping race
This activity develops dynamic balance, coordination, and rhythm required for activities at older ages such as running, skipping, hopping, and dancing